Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Hi-Fi Cosmetics High Impact Shadow Fix Review and Comparison

So I've had a little more time to experiment with Hi-Fi's eyeshadow base/sealant, which is in many way similar to Fyrinnae's ever popular Pixie Epoxy. Both of these products are excellent at what they're meant to do--they keep those loose, sparkly eyeshadows locked onto your eyelids and looking extra vibrant.


Packaging

Hi-Fi's High Impact Shadow Fix comes in a 5.9 ml tube with a doe foot applicator. This is PLENTY of product considering the minuscule amounts you need to apply on your eyelids, so it'll definitely last a while. With Fyrinnae's Pixie Epoxy, you get 10 ml of product.




Texture

In comparison to Pixie Epoxy, Hi-Fi's Shadow Fix is just a little bit tackier and stickier, but still easy to apply.


Eyeshadow Application

Here I applied MAC's Soft Ochre Paintpot as a base, followed by Hi-Fi's High Impact Shadow Fix on the left and Fyrinnae's Pixie Epoxy on the right. The first swatch for each product was done by patting the eyeshadow on, and the second was done by swiping it. The last is a swatch of purple glitter, as I was testing out how well fine glitter stuck to both bases.



This is where Hi-Fi's Shadow Fix varies a bit with Pixie Epoxy. When applying eyeshadow on my lid (on in this example, my arm), I found that it's much more effective to pat the eyeshadow on versus swiping it across. I have a harder time swiping my eyeshadows on top of the Shadow Fix than I do with Pixie Epoxy, but that's because the eyeshadows stick so darn well to it. The only way they'll budge is if you smudge the Shadow Fix. If you'll notice, the shimmer dulls a bit if I swipe the eyeshadow over Hi-Fi's Shadow Fix.

Durability After Washing

So I thought I was done comparing, really. I started to wash my arm and... yeah, this.



Eyeshadows really do stick to Hi-Fi's Shadow Fix! Generally, I have to take a little more time in applying my eyeshadows as they'll be a little tougher to blend out, but the general overall lasting effect is just as good as Fyrinnae's Pixie Epoxy.

11 comments:

Jade Carver said...

Thanks for doing this! I've been quite curious to see a comparison done for a while now, and I'm sure it's the same for many other avid blog-lurkers.

Julia said...

Thanks! I was very curious to see a comparison between those two. It seems they are both great, after all! And Pixie Epoxy may not be as water resistant, but I once slept with a swatch in my arm, and in the morning it looked like this: http://twitpic.com/1q3766 so the staying power is awesome.

SilhouetteScreams said...

Ooooh great comparison! I think I'll go with the PE on account of it looking prettier with the sparklies and being easier to blend on :)

Heather / Eyeconic said...

Hm, interesting. Whenever I get around to ordering from Hi Fi next, I'm going to do a comparison as well, since I find it interesting that that HISF claims you don't need a primer for it. I'm really surprised it stayed on so well as opposed to the Pixie Epoxy!

BLIX said...

I prefer having primers that do what they need and wash off well. Just because something washes off well, doesn't mean it's not as good. The Pixie Epoxy seems to show the sparkles better and blends shadows better. So I plan on sticking with it. :-)
Thanks for doing this! It's nice to see how they compare.

Lillian Funny Face said...

Hmm interesting! Looks like Shadow Fix is prettu great! However the tube of pixie epoxy i have will probably last me a lifetime so i don't think i need hi fi's one, i'll just stick to their amaing shadows :)

Kim said...

I'm glad the comparison helped! I also clarified my post slightly so its more apparent I'm just showing the durability of the primers and how well the shadows are holding after a wash. ^^

Julissa said...

Oops, I'm late but awesome comparison! Thanks. :D PE is fabulouuuuss. Dang.

DSK Steph said...

thanks for stopping by and joining the giveaway! :)

mytigerlily said...

This is really interesting.. really good comparison photos. I love your nails!!!

CopyCat - Smashinbeauty said...

thanks for the review.
The problem with Pixie Epoxy is that the shop continuously has problems in the past year.
I have just placed an order with HiFi and can't wait to get it :D