Saturday, February 27, 2010

The missing haul - Archetype Cosmetics

Words cannot express the mixture of emotions I felt when I received my Archetype order in the mail yesterday afternoon. Over five fucking months after I ordered, it finally arrived. I had to restrain myself from pitching the package across the street.

Be forewarned, I am a woman scorned by this terrible, terrible company. This "review" is not going to be pretty, my dears (I will be dropping a few more F-bombs). No paying customer should EVER be treated this way.

Despite having heard of the 1-2 month processing time of Archetype Cosmetics, I placed an order for a large variety of samples from their site on September 4th, 2009. I reasoned with myself that the wait would be worth getting so many complex and beautiful shades at such a cheap price: .25 cents each!

That, right there, is the most ignorant decision I've made as a consumer. As time passed beyond my chance to file a Paypal dispute, I grew concerned and started doing a little research. Why I didn't do this BEFORE I ordered is a mistake I've never repeated since. This company has HORRIBLE reviews. Many unfortunate women never even got their orders, and those who did had to go through the trouble of contacting the owner, Holly, directly by phone and voicing complaints to get their order going. E-mailing the woman is utterly pointless--she will not respond.

Anyway, on to some photos I took. Let's have a gander on what I got, shall we?



My order arrived in a bubble-mailer. Hm, I was charged $2.75 for shipping and according to that stamp on the right-handed corner, it cost $1.22.



What the samples I got are packaged in. My invoice was also included (not pictured), and it has a printing date of October 20, 2009. Which I guess means they at least got to my order then, but decided to piss around and take their time packing it for the next four months.



What the samples look like. I will admit, they are very lovely. I ordered around 70 of the little suckers. After checking them through with my invoice, it turns out I'm missing a color and got two of another one. Y'know, if they were gunna take this long to prepare my order, they could at least get it right. Hell, they could have at least also included extras as a courtesy (I've read of some customers who were able to get in contact with Holly, and after a direct complaint, got some full-sizes as extras) but nope, I got nada. Fuck 'em.


To conclude this horror story, I'm amazed I got my order at all. According to their site as of right now, they finally shipped all orders up to mid-February out. They also updated their FAQ page with new information on their shipping methods. They're supposedly getting their shit in order by having changed to a new shipping system this month. And joy of joys! Despite being HORRENDOUSLY behind on shipping orders, they somehow managed to find the time and energy to create an "Anti-Valentine" collection up for February! For fuck's sake...

------------------------------

Tl;dr version: Archetype Cosmetics and their customer service is shit-tier. Do not order from them unless you are a consumer-masochist and enjoy being treated like the dirt you tread on.

18 comments:

Nicol said...

horrible service! bt at least u have finally recieved them.
think that company is more of a scam in a way

Nea/ Fashioned in Finland said...

I know, I know... I ordered ONCE and that was enough. I got my package but not all are that fortunate.

The pigments were pretty but not worth it...

Shattered said...

Hell, she got her shit together long enough to put up a Halloween collection last year, too!

There's an ongoing thread of problems people are having on a forum I visit, and some people have been waiting 3, 4 months, but your wait is certainly the longest I have ever heard.

It is such a damn shame, because I hear her eyeshadows are just so amazing, but she should not work in any customer service field whatsoever.

Sagu said...

I've heard so many bad things about Archetype! What kind of company is that, treating paying customers like shit...

Jian said...

Wow..at least you got them eventually! I'd be pretty pissed off too I!

Sagu said...

And by the way, there's an award for you in my blog :)

Lillian Funny Face said...

Urgh, i've heard awful things about them before. This is just rediculous, 5 months?? And not replying to your emails, that's just terrible! They look really pretty and i've heard good reviews of the actual product but i certainly wouldn't order from someone who is so incredibly unreliable.

Heather / Eyeconic said...

Oh my god, I would want to chuck it right out a window as well. It's surprising you received it at all! I emailed Archetype a few months ago saying I knew shipping would take quite a long time, and I still wanted to order, if I could just know about how many months. I never got an answer. If they totally fixed their shipping, honestly, I would order from them even after all the horribleness I've heard about, because I love the colors so much. I know I shouldn't ever let them have my business though >_>

Maggie said...

Gosh, that sucks. Thanks for warning us about it. Definitely not worth it, but at least you finally received a package!

Kim said...

Nicol: Yes, I do agree! And thank you for following my blog and commenting~ ^-^

Nea: You're very fortunate! I'm happy to hear you received yours, although I hope you didn't have to wait as long as I did, haha.

Shattered: I just recognized you as a poster there on Specktra in the Archetype thread discussion. I couldn't agree with you more!

Sagu: I understand the occasional screw-up, but there are just too many bad things being said about this company that makes me wonder how they're still in business.

Jian: Thanks! I was pissed to be reminded of them honestly haha... but after I got over the shock of actually getting my order, I felt so relieved.

Lillian: Its tough to kick the lemmings down, but their customer service (or rather, lack thereof) doesn't make all the trouble and worrying worth it, imo.

Heather: If they do turn a new leaf and greatly improve their customer service and processing time, then as a first time customer I think you'd have an overall more pleasant experience. Unfortunately in my case, I just can't put myself into that kind of situation again. It's such a shame!

Maggie: Yes, and I think the important lesson to be learned is to always do your research first. I'm grateful to have so many reliable resources to rely on when I want to order from someplace new. ^_^

Fifi said...

Wow I'm glad I haven't ordered anything from her! I was lurking at her website too and I think the colors look intriguing but with shitty CS, I don't think they're worth it!

Jian said...

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog =)

Actually I haven't tried the look yet *shameful*. I'm planning on doing it today! I tend to be quite heavy handed with my eye makeup, and I'm always guilty of making a long flick at the outer corner with my eyeliner (which Kevin says specifically not to do in this look). So let's see how it goes!

Saila said...

I'm so sad you got the same treatment as I did... I e-mailed in two different e-mail addresses, I left a dispute on Paypal and had to escalate it into a claim because no one fucking answered! Yes, the piggies are pretty (well, some less than others) but I won't pay for non-existent customer service. I rather give my money to people who care.

Lisa Kate said...

I did the same thing when I ordered! I just bought it without researching and it took about 4 months. This was like a year and a half ago, so I don't see any improvement at all. The colors are pretty but not blended together that well, like the glitter in them just flies right off >(

BLIX said...

I think I'm the only person that had a good experience with this company. Not sure why but I must have placed an order when they weren't very busy as I got my order quickly and they responded to my email. Everything was correct too.

SilhouetteScreams said...

Oh my fucking god, I was headdesking just reading this :| it's worse than the Calypso Minerals bullshit!

Fleurs-de-Lisa said...

I know someone who waited TWO YEARS for an Archetype order! I have some of their shadows (samples) from a swap, and they are not that special that someone should have to wait any amount of time for them at all. There are plenty of fabulous indie companies out there who can dance jigs around Archetype (cough, Femme Fatale, Dawn Eyes Cosmetics, cough).

Olya Olegovna said...

Very good post! Thanks a lot. versus laser hair removal clinic